Friday, September 28, 2007

Shameless fundraising

This is a blog that is written as an accompaniment to a fund raising email that I have recently sent to a select few people who have shown interest in supporting me as I work in a rural community located in Nicaragua. If you did not receive this email; feel free to read on anyway.

As brief as I can be.....

In 1998, Hurricane Mitch blew up the unfortunate isthmus of Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and parts of Mexico. A few people from Western NC were dispatched down to help piece together the aftermath. As the wreckage began to subside; they were directed to a refugee village where hundreds of people were living in little shanties made of sticks and plastic. Many were without work, the children with no means of educations, and very few with hope. Vision Nicaragua has since built homes for everyone in the village; erected a school, and provided sponsorships for students, sick men, and widows. As problems are solved, the organization continues to take on new ones in a full-fledged attempt at developing this community.

Many of the men who do have work are employees of a massive Sugar Cane Plantation owned by the richest man in Nicaragua. These men are out among the cane fields all day with no source for water other than irrigation systems laced with contaminants. I've seen reports that the chemicals include Arsenic, DDT, and several other harmful substances. These men contract a disease known as Creatinina which attacks the kidneys. Many of these men die at a very young age. They are also monitored closely by the plantation and when the disease begins to weaken them; they are fired and sent home with a small sum of money. This is in exchange for years of service that ultimately amount to a death sentence.

As this story was unfolding, I am advancing in my life at a pace very acceptable to my peers. My stability is rising with every paycheck and every incremental rise of the insulated housing market of the Greater Triangle Area. This did not sit well with me however, as began to read the story of the Rich Young Ruler in Matthew, Mark, and Luke. I knew that I was him, and that Jesus was asking me a question. I also believed that in the most incredibly beautiful but weird way; this God had come to earth, found me in my shortcomings, and took my portion of this world's evil upon himself. He spoke into the deepest desires of my heart and He wanted to satisfy them. This led me to see that I'd already been given everything I really needed and a whole lot more. I wanted to pour something back out. I learned through scripture and logic that God cares deeply for the poor and oppressed peoples of this world and that He would want me to reach out to them if I could. I didn't really know what to do with these thoughts, but ultimately they led me here. Don't think that I am knocking on those of you who are steadily advancing your careers at home in US. If it weren't for you; I would have no reason to post this blog.

Vision Nicaragua has since begun efforts to create a small business park including a bakery/cafe, bike shop, welding shop, and block factory. This project serves as a way for the sick and dying men of Bethel, Nicaragua to work outside of the Sugar Cane Plantation. It also will allow the younger ones to avoid this disease that continues to claim their father's lives. This is where I enter the scene. For most of this year; I will have been and continue to be helping to make this business park a reality in the role of a Project Coordinator. If you would like to help me out financially. Please email me at awilser@gmail.com and I will graciously accept.

lots of love,
alan

1 Comments:

Blogger kcmac said...

I am so proud of you for giving up the comforts of life in Raleigh to go to Nicaragua. I love this about you and I am so encouraged by your willingness to sacrifice so much for things God cares about. Te amo mas de ayer y menos de manana! Have a great time in Nicaragua mi amor!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home