Saturday, September 08, 2007

and God surfaced

I went surfing at Emerald Isle this morning which isn't the greatest surf spot ever but, there is a decent ground swell coming in from a tropical system out in the Atlantic. I paddled out around 8:30 or so and I was all alone in the water except for a few other surfers a few hundred yards to the south. The lines were coming in very clean and the wind was slightly off-shore so things were setting up quite nicely, at least for an NC beach. Everything was closing out rather quickly, but it was definitely worth it just to be out. The sun was climbing up the horizon and things couldn't have been much more beautiful. I had turned to face the beach for just a brief second and then heard something behind me. I turned to realize that a dolphin was surfacing only 10 ft away from me. The 8 foot long mammal shot air and water through it's blowhole and I simply couldn't believe it. As long as I've been swimming and surfing in the ocean I've wanted to get close to a dolphin. It was an incredibly special moment for me.....almost as if God just wanted to me to have it. It was like He said, "Alan, watch this. You're going to love this........and then what, a dolphin right there. "God, I think you just talked to me. In any case, I hope we can do this again some time, perhaps next Tuesday. Yes, more dolphins next Tuesday. Great, I'll see ya there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home